Translate

Monday, March 16, 2015

Mini Coffee Cakes


Morning! It's another Monday & we are still bogged down in tons of snow with more forcasted to arrive this week. That meant that yesterday I felt like having coffee cake with cinnamon streusel topping but I wanted to try someone else's recipe. I know it sounds strange but I get fed up of my food at times, like many Chef's my favourite thing is when someone else cooks or bakes for me. Since all these allergies, it's very very rare I get a treat that I didn't make. Sunday was no exception but I decided to play around with Pinterest to find something from another blogger. I found a recipe from Forks & Beans: http://www.forkandbeans.com/2014/03/21/cinnamon-streusel-mini-coffee-cakes/

The recipe was vegan, I changed mine by adding egg, coconut sugar, maple syrup, vanilla, & a slight variation on some tops by using fruits. I wanted to use some of the fruits I had in the freezer so I would not lose them. They were good, I liked that the cakes were not overly sweet and they had a nice texture. I will make some changes to the crumble topping next time I make them because I found it dryer than I am used to. For some reason I knew I was making coffee cake but my mouth expected a buckle taste and texture. That's why I added some fruit at the last minute & we agreed it was a tasty choice. Here you go:
You will need to make the Cara All- purpose Gluten-free Flour Blend that she uses on Forks & Bean's. I reduced the amount because I only wanted to make a small batch.

CARA'S GLUTEN-FREE A.P FLOUR BLEND:
11/2 Cup Fine Brown rice flour
11/2 Cup Sorghum flour
3/4 Cup Potato starch
3/4 Cup Arrowroot starch
Mix all together well.

GLUTEN-FREE MINI COFFEE CAKES:
Dry ingredients:
2 Cups Cara A.P Flour blend
1/2 Cup Coconut sugar
2 tsp Baking powder
1/2 tsp Baking soda
1 tsp Xanthan gum
1/2 tsp salt
-Mix all together in a bowl and reserve


Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
Wet ingredients:
3/4 Cup Almond milk that is buttermilked with 1 tbsp lemon juice.
1 tsp Vanilla
1 egg
1 tsp Walnut oil
1/4 Cup Vegetable oil
2 Tbsp Maple syrup
-Mix all wet together and add to dry ingredients.


-Scoop evenly into a lined muffin pan, top with fruit or leave plain & just top with Streusel. If you are adding fruit then top with Streusel after adding fruit.
STREUSEL TOPPING:
3/4 Cup Cara's blend flour
1/2 Cup Coconut sugar
1 tsp Cinnamon ground
1/4 Cup Vegan Butter
-Blend all and sprinkle over scooped batter with or without fruit.





-Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes then turn tray halfway and bake for another 15 minutes. Check for doneness by testing with a cake tester, make sure it comes out clean when you poke the cake.
-Allow to cool for 10 minutes, can be served warm with butter or cold with a cup of tea or coffee. Enjoy & remember to share with someone you love.


No comments :

Post a Comment