Translate

Monday, March 9, 2015

Mock Vegan Ricotta "Cheese"



I was able to get the final ingredients needed to create the recipe with the Sable grapes that I am super excited to attempt. I had to make this uber easy vegan ricotta cheese first, though. When I went raw vegan a ways back, I had tried a recipe from another blog and was happy with the texture but found the flavour was lacking. I am no longer able to be vegan thanks to my health issues but I still like to incorporate healthy foods and I find my numerous allergies, which include dairy, have left a sad cheesy void in my life. So, we improvise. No, it's not real ricotta cheese but it's a good compromise & works beautifully in uncooked applications.
It's not a cheap item to make, as
Macadamia nuts & pine nuts are at the base of this recipe, however, I made an effort to keep it from being too cost prohibitive by using small amounts with great success. Real ricotta cheese was always a splurge item for special occasion recipes anyways, in my home at least. It's so easy peasy & looks lovely when served, you will easily impress any vegetarians & non-vegetarians in your life.
This recipe lasts 3 days in the fridge, I will be posting the recipe to compliment it very soon. In the meantime, enjoy playing in the kitchen!

MOCK VEGAN RICOTTA CHEESE:
Cost range: Medium - High
Prep time: 15 mins. (Does not include soaking nuts & chill time)
Difficulty: Super easy
Serves: 2-4 people
Freeze: Not recommended, keeps 3 days in fridge.

Ingredients:

3/4 Cup Raw macadamia nuts
2 Tbsp Raw pine nuts
*In separate bowls for each nut, soak by covering with filtered water for 2-3 hours & then rinse thoroughly before using.

2 Tbsp Lemon juice
2 Tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
1/2 tsp Pink sea salt
1/2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
1/2 Cup Filtered water

*The reason the nuts must be soaked & rinsed is to soften them & remove any enzyme inhibitors that are naturally occurring on the nuts.

Method:

In a blender, add all ingredients and blend until slightly grainy in consistency. Add a Tbsp of water or more as needed but not too much.
Place in bowl, cover & chill for minimum 4-6 hours. Overnight is fine.
Serve with sweet or savoury ingredients, see the final picture below for an example.











This last image is sliced Roma tomatoes with fresh basil leaves, mock ricotta nestled between, drizzled with olive oil, sprinkled with Crumesan, salt and pepper to taste. So pretty & yummy!



Enjoy, keep checking in for the other recipe & leave a comment below if you try this out.

No comments :

Post a Comment