Translate

Monday, August 24, 2015

Okayu aka Congee aka Rice Porridge

I was super unwell, I got hit with a nasty kidney infection that came out of nowhere, I was having a really tough time eating, being in pain, and felt very weak with constant exhaustion. I decided to make myself Asian style rice porridge, this, with soft vegetables, fresh juiced juice for kidney support, loads of water, and very mild fruits; were what I subsisted on for most of the 10 days of medicated yuckiness.
I prefer the Japanese style of rice porridge which is called Okayu, it is a bit thicker than the more traditional Chinese Congee. If you have never heard of it, here is a little bit of info from Wikipedia to help out:
Okayu or Congee as it is commonly referred to in other parts of Asia is a type of rice porridge or gruel popular in many Asian countries. When eaten as plain rice congee, it is most often served with side dishes. When additional ingredients, such as meat, fish, and flavorings, are added while preparing the congee, it is most often served as a meal on its own, especially for the ill. Names for congee are as varied as the style of its preparation. Despite its many variations, it is usually a thick porridge of rice largely disintegrated after prolonged cooking in water.
It can be found in all these parts of the world:
Burma(Myanmar), China, India, Indonesia, Japan, Korea, Laos, Philippines, Portugal, Sri Lanka, Thailand, Turkey, Vietnam.
In ancient times, people named the thick congee chan, the watery one chi or mi. The characteristics of congee are that it is easy to digest and very simple to cook. Congee is one of the traditional Chinese foods and has thousands of years of history in China. The Zhou Book says "Emperor Huang Di was first to cook congee with millet as the ingredient", that may be considered the earliest record of congee.

To prepare the dish, rice is boiled in a large amount of water until it softens significantly. Congee can be made in a pot or in a rice cooker. Some rice cookers have a "congee" setting, allowing it to be cooked overnight. The type of rice used can be either short- or long-grain, depending on what is available and regional cultural influences. Culture also often dictates the way congee is cooked and eaten.
In some cultures, congee is eaten primarily as a breakfast food or late supper; in others, it is eaten as a substitute for rice at other meals It is often considered particularly suitable for the sick as a mild, easily digestible food.
Here is the link if you want to explore further:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Congee

Japan calls their rice porridge Okayo for the thicker version and for the more watered down, soupy version, Zosui. Zosui usually has additions that vary from household to household, and often has miso and vegetables with seaweed. Just remember, if you are adding miso, which is a fermented bean paste, you must add it at the end as you will lose the flavour and healthy properties of miso if cooked and or boiled.
I must confess to becoming a bit obsessed, once again with all things Japanese. When I was a little girl, I could not get enough of Japanese culture.I watched shows, documentaries, had special colouring books that showed period costumes, watched movies, anime and dressed in a kimono my mother made for mefor Halloween. It was not the real Kimono's from Japan, those cost a fortune, but I was so happy.
Lately, I have been watching Youtube channels called Texan in Tokyo with Grace and Ryosuke (she's super sweet & talented, he's hilarious and silly, both are adorks!) These are links to 3 of my fav vids from their channel, which is really a short list because I like so many of them. I also am looking forward to getting some of her comic books that she makes & self-publishes, here's the Etsy link should you be interested for the books and after that one, I put video links:

https://www.etsy.com/shop/TexaninTokyo?ref=l2-shop-info-name

This is the Mochi making (mochi is delicious pounded rice):
https://youtu.be/mXZLD9kscBU

This is the Onsen (bath house if you are not in the know)
https://youtu.be/umyezhyH7qg

I have to add the poop museum because it's too fun!
https://youtu.be/5QvSLmREmvY 

The other channel I have been watching is called Rachel and Jun. These two are equally fun and adorable, Jun is more reserved than Ryosuke, but he is great to watch. He has loads of information, a fluffy cute cat, adores his wife, and has a love of baking/cooking. Rachel has all kinds of tips for living and working in Japan, yummy food vlogs, and fun experiences with her husband that she shares. Both couples seem to really love one another and Japan, so it makes for great watching. They also struggled through the ups & downs of long distance which I relate to so well, I highly recommend both channels.

Rachel and Jun have this video of Fox Village in Zao Japan, I posted a link here to their channel:
https://youtu.be/92wtDKCtOiU

Also, this is a cool and funny sushi place experience video:
https://youtu.be/oXScaxsaxWs

I have to add the Japanese wives and husbands differences vids because they are informative, both couples are in them and so Kawaii!
https://youtu.be/oc0sg3oDxSs

https://youtu.be/a4CuEiVtG58

I may have been driving Poppa Bear a little bit nuts because since having watched this, the bunny and cat island videos, mochi making, along with loads of other food, Onsen, Gaijin tips, and micro apartment living in Japan vids, I do not stop going on and on about the subject. My childhood Japanese dream is well and alive within me at all times and I thought you needed a moment to share in the fun. Go check out the videos and their channels, you will love them!
I used to be a home stay parent and one of my first students was from Japan; it was fate I tell yah!
I did not know at the time but Japan has a very big gift giving culture and my lovely student was no exception. I adored having her stay with us, she was so kind, respectful, and loved Montreal so much that it was a great experience for all of us whenever we went out exploring. I do believe I got her a little bit cracked out on maple spread and my West Indian stewed chicken with plantain dish (soon to come in my cookbook). I miss her so much. Michiyo was such a gentle soul, very sweet, thoughtful, and super excited to try new things. Before she went back home, after extending her stay by almost a year, she had her husband come to Montreal. They both stayed in our home and I think it was one of the best experiences I have ever had as a home stay parent, especially with regards to experiencing cultural differences. I pray that God grants us the opportunity to go to Japan and I get to see Michiyo once more.
In the pic is one of the gifts I received from her, when her husband came he brought these beautifully packaged sweets and I, like an ass, did not take pics. I still have this though and a stunning platter along with Hello Kitty t-shirts.
 I liked it all the more because in Chinese astrology, (I know it has nothing to do with Japan) I was born in the year of the rabbit and there are bunnies on it, how mignon! J'adore les lapins!!!

I know you came for the recipe, enough gushing and reminiscing. Without any more distractions, here you go...

OKAYU AKA CONGEE AKA RICE PORRIDGE:

Ingredients:
1 C rice (best to use a shorter grain sushi style rice, I was out so I had to use jasmine)
3 C Organic chicken or vegetable stock
2 C Filtered water
5 Large slices of ginger,skin can be kept on
1 tsp Sea salt
1/2 tsp Ground white pepper
1 Bay leaf
3 Pieces chicken thighs, no skin, no bone (If you're making this vegetarian*, leave this out)
1 Tbsp Gluten-free Tamari organic
1tsp Sesame oil organic
2 Scallion sliced thinly on a diagonal

Method:
-Rinse and clean chicken in bowl of water to cover, with pinch sea salt, and 1 tbsp lemon or lime juice or vinegar. Rinse with plain water, reserve,
-In a pot large enough to hold 6 Cups, rinse rice in cold water. You must do this rinsing, agitating and draining until the water runs clear, 3 times should be enough.
-Add to pot that has rice in it, stock, water, and ginger. Bring this to a boil, reduce to medium low, stir often.
-Add salt, pepper, soy, and bay leaf. Stir, add chicken*, stir often throughout cooking process.
-Did I mention to stir often? Do it!
-Cook with the lid on, on low heat,and stir often. Do you get the impression this recipe requires a lot of stirring?
-Once cooked for 25 minutes, remove ginger, bay leaf, and discard. Turn off heat and remove from stove. If porridge is too thick, add a bit of water or stock.
-Remove chicken to plate, shred and return to pot.
-Your rice porridge is complete, when serving into small bowls, sprinkle with scallion and some sesame oil. If a person is very nauseated, do not use sesame oil.

Will keep in the fridge for several days, not suitable for freezing.
I usually make this when sick and eat it for several days, as such, I can not really advise as to how many exact portions you will get. I believe I had about 12-14 small bowl portions. 

* If you are making this vegetarian, at the very end of cooking, stir in a tsp of miso and stir through.
You may also add Nato on top when you serve this with some shredded carrots and prepared seaweed if you like. We also like to have pickled ginger with shiso leaves with our Okayu. Explore and have fun with it.

As always, pictures follow to help guide you. Let me know all about your culinary adventures if you try this recipe, leave questions or comments down below, and don't forget to subscribe!




No comments :

Post a Comment