Translate

Friday, November 27, 2015

Goitreogens, What are They & Where are They Found? (Thyroid part 6)


                                                                    
 (Picture from endocrineweb.com)
    
Goitrogens are substances that suppress the function of the thyroid gland by interfering with iodine uptake, which can, as a result, cause an enlargement of the thyroid, i.e., a goiter.

Thank you wikipedia.

This is some of the most important thyroid information you will hear because you can directly control goitrogens from getting into your system, far too many people know nothing about them, (I was one of you, so don't be embarassed) and it's an easy fix that has a big impact on health.

I was unknowingly imbibing foods and drinks that would appear to be very healthy, follow recommended standards for nutrition, and tasted delicious, but were having a very dangerous side effect. I did not begin to conect the dots, until my health had begun to take a horrible turn for the worse, doctor's were stumped, and I noticed an immediate plumet in my energy levels after eating and particulairly drinking specific foods. Biggest offender in my life? You won't believe it because it is touted as the beginning and end all of health conscious individual's, it's sold everywhere, is added to many things, and has become extremely popular.
KALE.
Yup, this little green monster of goodness was seriously sabotaging my health, along with an extensive list of cruciferous vegetables and fruits that I was juicing, blending into smoothies, and eating in the raw or adding to many dishes. How can this be?
Well, it's a gotirogen and I did not know or understand what that meant, where to find them, or what their impact was on my body. Turns out, goitrogens are a BIG deal.

I am going to drop some information on you from this blog, because it was very informative, helped me figure quite a lot out, and did not bash on these vegetables and fruits as some do, it's really more about understanding the role food and medication plays in the lives of different people facing different circumstances. Here is the link to the blog whf.org, if you would like to explore further:
http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=george&dbid=250

Goitrogens

From a science perspective, "goitrogen" is a term used to describe any substance that can cause enlargement of the thyroid gland. That's because "goiter" is an enlarged thyroid gland. (Sometimes a person with an enlarged thyroid gland is described as "having a goiter," and sometimes the condition itself is simply referred to as "goiter.") A "goitrogen" is simply any substance that causes or contributes to goiter.
There are many different chemical substances that can contribute to goiter. From a chemical standpoint, they usually have nothing in common except for their ability to cause thyroid enlargement.


Many drugs act as goitrogens. These drugs include lithium (a drug used to treat bipolar disorder) and phenylbutazone (a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug). Sometimes these drugs are described as having "goitrogenic effects" instead of being called goitrogens themselves. Most of the time, drugs with goitrogenic effects interfere with iodine metabolism. Since the thyroid needs iodine to produce thyroid hormones, drugs that interfere with iodine metabolism often prevent the thyroid from making its iodine-containing hormones properly. (Without the proper amount of iodine, the thyroid cannot make sufficient amounts of thyroid hormone. When the thyroid fails to make enough of its hormones, the pituitary gland in the brain sends a message to the thyroid to increase in size and make more thyroid hormone. That increase in thyroid size is what scientists call goiter.) Nutritional deficiency of iodine is the most common dietary cause of goiter, and, in this sense, iodine deficiency could be accurately described as goitrogenic.

Goitrogenic Foods

Contrary to popular belief, foods themselves are not "goitrogenic" in the sense of causing goiter whenever they are consumed, or even when they are consumed in excess. In fact, most foods that are commonly called goitrogenic - such as the cruciferous vegetables (including broccoli, cabbage, kale, and cauliflower) and soyfoods - do not interfere with thyroid function in healthy persons even when they are consumed on a daily basis. Nor is it scientifically correct to say that foods "contain goitrogens," at least not if you are thinking about goitrogens as a category of substances like proteins, carbohydrates, or vitamins. With respect to the health of our thyroid gland, all that can be contained in a food are nutrients that provide us with a variety of health benefits but which, under certain circumstances, can also interfere with thyroid function. The term "goitrogenic food" makes it sound as if something is wrong with the food, but that is simply not the case. What causes problems for certain individuals is not the food itself but the mismatched nature of certain substances within the food to their unique health circumstances.

Goiter, Thyroid Function, and Diet

With respect to diet, the most common cause of goiter is iodine deficiency from lack of iodine-containing foods. However, other food factors can come into play under certain unique circumstances.
For example, since the mineral selenium is required for certain activities within the thyroid gland, selenium deficiency can combine with borderline iodine deficiency to produce goiter. The selenium content of foods is highly variable and depends to a large extent upon soil conditions. For this reason, in parts of Asia, Africa, and Latin America where soils are particularly low in selenium, thyroid problems related to borderline iodine intake may be worsened by this added problem of soil selenium deficiency and inadequate intake of selenium-rich foods.

Thank you, The World's Healthiest Foods.Org

I really want you to focus on the part that states, "what causes problems for certain individuals is not the food itself but the mismatched nature of certain substances within the food to their unique health circumstances."
This is important because we have a tendency in our society to over do it on everything. Mesaning, that if we hear that soya is good for you, we immediately start shoving it into every nook and cranny of food, supplements, body care, etc. If something is thought to be bad we vilify it and hope for it's destruction for all time. This is true of fat and cholesterol, there was a time when we believed eggs were so dangerous you had to have them sparingly and that all cholesterol and fat were inherently bad. Science is not debunking these myths, we have a better understanding between the different types of cholesterol ie: HDL & LDL, and we are finding that fat is not all bad. Quality, quantity, and types, along with individual needs, plays a huge role in what could be considered to have a negative impact on one person and a positive impact on another. The same can be said for goitrogens. I will discuss further but first I want to give you a quick list of where you can find goitrogens, then I will go deeper into what this means for you if you are suffering from supressed thyroid function or a goiter.

Here are some examples of goitrogens:
• Broccoli
• Cauliflower
• Kale
• Brussels Sprouts
• Mustard Greens
• Radishes
• Spinach
• Strawberries
• Peaches
• Soy-Based Foods
• Peanuts

Pears are also a problem but for some reason were not on the list, so I am adding them. I am also adding this picture of foods to avoid in the first stages of thyroid healing. Some you will be able to add later on but in the beginning, it's highly recommended to avoid them. Gluten, soy, dairy, caffeine, stimulants, pre-workout burners, energy drinks, sugar in all forms, high yeast products, oils that are not cold pressed and organic, none of these are good for you. Read on...



 Some Goitrogenic Foods Are Worse Than Others
While I definitely recommend that anyone with a thyroid condition minimize their consumption of goitrogens, and in some cases completely avoid them, there is no question some goitrogenic foods are worse than others.  For example, other than their goitrogenic properties, the cruciferous vegetables are very healthy, and with the exception of when someone is in the beginning phase of a natural thyroid treatment protocol, I don’t think eating cruciferous vegetables on an occasional basis for someone with hypothyroidism is a bad thing.
On the other hand, I’m not a big fan of soy, as while the soy industry has done a great job of marketing soy as being healthy for us, a lot of research has proved otherwise.  I mentioned above where someone who doesn’t have a thyroid disorder is unlikely to develop one by consuming goitrogens.  Well, soy might be an exception to this, as eating soy frequently can potentially lead to numerous health problems.
Once again, for someone who is not following a natural treatment protocol and is relying on the prescription drugs to manage their symptoms, eating some soy-based foods every now and then is fine.  On the other hand, since a person who has a hypothyroid condition should try to minimize the amount of goitrogens they eat, when they do choose to eat such foods it would be a better choice to eat the cruciferous vegetables, since they do offer greater health benefits.
Also, some goitrogenic foods are considered “mildly goitrogenic”.  Some examples include spinach, strawberries, and peaches.  So while anyone with a hypothyroid condition will want to minimize their consumption of these foods, eating them aren’t as bad for your thyroid gland as other goitrogenic foods that aren’t classified as being “mildly goitrogenic”, such as broccoli, cauliflower, and soy.
By the way, some sources do show that cooking these foods may destroy the goitrogenic activity.  I’m not sure if this has been fully confirmed through research studies, and so while it might be okay for someone with hypothyroidism to eat cooked cruciferous vege

Here is the link to the blog where I got the above information from, it's a great site and had a very positive influence on the choices I made when attempting to correct the thyroid imbalance in my body.
http://www.naturalendocrinesolutions.com/articles/goitrogens-thyroid-inhibiting-foods-you-should-avoid/

So, you look at the above list and you think, whoa la! I like a lot of the foods on that list, or like me, double whoa la! I have been eating so many of those things, especially in the raw and I don't want to give them up because they are a big part of my vegan/vegetarian/healthy lifestyle.
I am going to give you some food information about the list, down below. First though, this:

Two things:
1) It's a bummer, but the truth is, you are going to need to change all your dietary/sleep/activities/exercise/partying/life habits. Eliminate what needs to be eliminated, probably give up being vegan/vegetarian for a while, do what needs to be done to re-establish your health and it's never been more true if you are going about it the natural route; the way that I did. This with a lot of faith, prayer, commitment, patience, support from loved one's, research, a willingness to fight for what you believe, connecting with others in similar situations, being your biggest advocate, and remembering to be gentle; because it's a process that requires you to take time, respect the limits, and treat yourself with kindness.

2) There is hope, it can and will improve, once you are past the worst stages. The first and worst stages are usually the first 2-3 years, long but I rather you be mentally prepared, and I am speaking after diagnosis, when you have made an informed choice as to your approach to regaining your health. This is YOUR choice, do what you feel works best for you. You will be able to indulge here and there, in the foods you miss. It's not always easy but it will be worth it and you will feel grateful that God brought you this far. You are not alone but you are going to have to be singular in your approach to sticking to what is best for your health, and that means getting out what is harming, even if it seems to be good for you.

My personal experience with goitrogens was tediously long, I did not know a dang thing about any of this stuff and was perplexed as to why, whenever I ate certain foods, I noticed a considerable drop in my energy levels. I would struggle for days and sometimes weeks, to regain energy and pep. Health was on the decline & I could not figure out why. It was replaced by serious nausea, tightness around my throat, utter exhaustion, and a total feeling of depletion and lethargy.
I came upon the connection by chance after a doctor's appointment, I was feeling unwell and the doctor was confused about some test results he could not explain. I also had a UTI-again, and high protein levels in my urine. He gave me some meds & suggestions, off I went home to rest and recuperate. As I left, I opened my kale and spirulina smoothie and began to chug it down while walking down St. Denis street in Montréal. BIG MISTAKE!!!!
Within 5-10 mintes I felt so ill, I rushed home because I was sure I was going to start being sick in the middle of the street. I was weak, stomach was doing flip flops, began to puke, I wanted to cry, I felt like someone had knocked me out for the count.
It took 3 or 4 days to start feeling better, I decided right then and there that Kale & I, along with Spirulina, would be on a long term hiatus.
Turns out my body was not absorbing nutrients because of the reduced thyroid function, the goitrogens were inhibiting the function further, and the spirulina, although very healthy and high in protein, was not being absorbed because of the afore mentioned. I learned this because shortly after that appointment and getting really sick, I came across the blog that listed foods with goitrogens. That was when a bright lightbulb went off in my head, so much began to click into place and make sense. I researched and found alternatives for synthroid that didn't have porcine-I have a strong sensitivity to pork. For some reason my eczema flares and I have been known to get sick when I eat it, there's never a warning. Some days it's okay and others it is not so I choose to steer clear. This was never a problem when I was a vegetarian or raw vegan, but when I tried going full out Paleo, not good.
I found this great product that was a bovine based dessicated thyroid replacement, this along with some other natural meds, and a very specific diet with juicing has had a very positive impact. I will tell my story further in another post, as it is too long for here, and I want us to focus on goitrogens.
I am now able to indulge in strawberries and cauliflower, not on the regular but in moderate doses. Kale is still a big problem for me, I have since replaced it with Chard, which I tolerate much better. I am careful with how much I ingest that too because Chard is part of the nightshade family, which can be difficult on the organs. That's a whole other post for another time. I will come back & link it here when I do that post in the near future.
As for soy foods, well, I do fermented soy, particularly Nato. What the huh? Yes, Nato.
This is fermented, sticky, smelly, strong soy beans that are eaten in Japan. They are one of the few ways to get Vitamin K2 in your diet, and are easier on the body because they are a very fermented food which is super high in probiotics. Be warned, they be stinkies, and are not liked by most people. I am one of those that can eat them without problem. You can find them in the freezer section of some Asian markets, do not use the mustard or soy packets that come with, as they are not guaranteed gluten-free. I suggest getting your own gluten-free tamari and not using the mustard, as the mustard makes it worse,(when I taste it). Apparently some healthfood stores carry organic Nato, I have yet to come across them here in Québec.
Vitamin K2 is important because it fights Osteoporosis, protects the Heart, studies are showing it helps prevent Alzheimers, and fights Cancer. If you want more information about Vitamin K, here is the link to a great Youtube video that Dr. Mercola did & his site that talks about it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ePU5NiRDSM

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2004/03/24/vitamin-k-part-two.aspx

Back to Soy.
Soy foods have gotten a bad rap, and that's because soy is an estrogen mimicker. This can lead to a host of hormonal imbalances and the long term repercussions are worrisome, Doctor's are beginning to stress the dangers from ingesting too much soy. This is a North American issue, for you see, we have gone soy overboard. What a big surprise-NOT!
We have put soy in everything and as per usual, too much of anything is not a good thing.
In Asia, soy makes up about 17% of the diet, much of the soy eaten is also in  fermented form.
Such as Tamari, Soy sauces, Tempeh, and Nato. If the Japanese are any pointers to longevity, (and they are, they have the largest population of centarians, period) then moderation, elimination of overly processed foods, loads of iodine rich seaweeds, and smaller amounts of fermented soy, less sugar and dairy, more savoury nourishing breakfasts, along with getting away from the SAD diet, are definitely the way to go.

As for cruciferous vegetables such as brussel sprouts, broccoli, cabbage, radishes, greens like mustard and kale, well, new research is showing that cooking these before hand can actually make them easier to absorb and may benefit thyroid sufferers. I am more of a , watch your body, see how it reacts, if you notice it's negatively impacting your health, then nix it from your diet, kind of person.
You live with your body, you know it best, just listen and watch for the clues.
Living in awareness.
Then of course there is juicing.
Juicing is really important and can have serious consequences if you don't know what foods can help or harm the thyroid. I am including some great info graphics from some other sources, and down below there are some juice recipes to get you started. Juicing has been a major component in getting my thyroid back into working order, by the Grace of God, loads of prayer, lots of healthy, informed food, and medicinal choices, along with gentle exercise and better stress management, the recovery process has been extremely positive. Slow but steady.

                            
Don't be discouraged by the No-No's, I know it seems rough eliminating and saying goodbye to foods you may really enjoy, you need to recall why you are doing all of this.
There are however, some really great juicing recipes to help support and get optimal thyroid function back, these are a few favourites I found from other bloggers:
                          
                    

                  
And this one is from me, I drink this whenever I need energy and man oh man, do I ever get wired when I have it. It's such a good feeling! It's the red guy in the picture below, to the right.

I call it the Super Charge for a reason, just you wait and feel it.

THE SUPER CHARGE JUICE
Ingredients:
1 Beet
1 Stalk Celery
8 Red Apples
6 Carrots
1 Large Knob Ginger
1 Orange
(feel free to add 2 chard leaves if you like)
Run all the ingredients through the juicer & serve over ice!
Enjoy & leave a comment if you try any of these out.

I hope this post answered some questions for you, if you have others, please do not hesitate to leave them down below. I really do love to hear from you, don't forget to subscribe.
God bless you.

No comments :

Post a Comment