Translate

Friday, November 20, 2015

Thai Crispy Rolls Review


Good day lovely people, review time today and I think it's gonna be interesting. We're talking Thai Crispy Rolls.
Let me say, that these were a wonderful addition for my gluten-free, surprise, last- minute find. I have never heard of Thai Crispy Rolls before and boy am I ever glad that has changed!

I discovered these recently at our local Asian market, I was checking out Mochi, then cookies, and pretty much became sad and wistful for gluten-filled goodies until my eyes fell on this packaging. I was sure they were full of wheat but decided to check out the ingredients, just for fun. Low and behold, these use white rice flour and taro. Super cool and yes, they were quickly bought! Taro is a root that is used quite a bit in Asian cuisine, snack foods, and desserts. I was thrilled because these looked like wafer roll cookies I used to eat back in the day, which were filled with hazelnut cream.
Firstly, these are not a "healthy" snack, as they contain sugar. However, for 6 rolls there is only 4 grams of fat, 115 cal, and 1 gram of protein. Not too shabby for a treat.
When I removed these from the package, they were very much intact which was quite amazing, considering how fragile these are. They are beautiful rolls of crisp, tightly layered, baked dough, which I am assuming is made much like a crepe. They look really pretty and would be stunning as a finishing touch on a dessert, like a mousse.


I tasted these with a hot cup of Earl Grey tea, another time with apple juice, and I had them with almond milk as an afternoon break on the weekend after working on the cookbook. My first impression was hopeful, this quickly turned to delight as I bit into its crispy, light, dense yet airy-if such a thing is possible, mild coconutty, perfectly balanced sweetness. It was just as blissful the following times and I went a step further on the almond milk try by adding some Nutella. Yes, it was a glorious wonder, and I was flooded with childhood memories of hazelnut filling wafers, once more!

These are definitely on my recommendation list, they are not expensive either. I paid $2.99 Canadian and the bag is not all air, we tried a different brand and they both tasted the same, the only difference was the second type was shorter and a bit more densely packed, with regard to the crispy layering.
The only down side to these, if I must mention one, is that they are very delicate and they break easily. This is normal, they are a super thin, layered wafer cookie. When you bite them they flake and crumble a bit, just tilt your head back or keep your hand open, to catch the crumbs.
I broke mine in half and poured the crumbs in my mouth as they broke,delicious crispiness. You gotta try these!

That's all for now folks, I leave you with the joy of geeky expression by way of these awesome Star Wars snowflakes made by a very talented someone out there. I liked Chewbacca best, which one is you fav? 

No comments :

Post a Comment