Translate

Thursday, December 10, 2015

Crochet DIY Christmas Gifts

Good day bright & loverly people!
We are on another great DIY Christmas Gifts topic today, that has been a staple for years in my goodies bag, for gift giving with an uber personal touch. The above picture was of a family friend, she had just had a baby, so I wanted to give a blanket incorporating bright colours which were gender neutral. (At the time I started the project she was still pregnant and had chosen not to know the sex of the baby) I also made an infinity scarf for her, there were unique black buttons sewn on with the addition of loops, so she could wrap & tie the scarf instead of having to pull it over her head. This was the monster crochet hook I used along with a heavier gauge of red yarn with sparkly bits in it, cut the project time down by half! I used a stitch pattern that I found on Youtube called a sweetheart stitch, I put the link under the following picture.

                                                   
SimplyHookedCrochet on Youtube has the easiest, prettiest, fun Sweetheart Scarf Crochet video with the pattern. Here is the link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YSqqkN1Dzo

I used this pattern a lot the past year, I was smitten with the ease of it, how much the design resembled a knitted pattern, (I fooled some knitter's, who did not believe me it was crochet at first) and it is a modern look which people of all ages fall in love with. I find it a lot less overwhelming than some patterns, I completed my crochet projects that used this pattern much more quickly than I had thought I would. Also, I found this stitching gave a more sturdy scarf, and it was awesome with a cape when I used Chunky Yarn. Oh! Yeah! If you have not checked out chunky style yarn (heavy gauge) you really need to get on this crochet/knitting trend.

                                                   

I will tell you, men really, really, really, like receiving a scarf that has been handmade. Especially when it comes in colours that they request, or matches a sports team they have an affinity for. I have gotten requests for specific colours, yarn thickness, and length, in more detail from dudes than ladies. For realsies, who would have thunk it?






What is really exciting right now, is that there are so many new and vibrant colours that are very
"au courant". It was a joy to choose from and livelies up the work that you do.
I began crocheting 22 years ago and back then there were not nearly the colour scheme options that we have today. People liked receiving scarves so much back then, they would buy me Christmas gifts of yarns in colours they liked, helping me to get a start on next year and insuring the right colour options for themselves. I was happy and found it to be very thoughtful because yarn does add up($), so shop around. I am also allergic to wool-ridiculously sad but true, so I use man made fiber yarns that are soft.
If this is really a new thing for you to learn, don't be intimidated, panicked, or turned off; trust me, we all start at the beginning. When I began crocheting scarves I did a great tight stitch but was never very good with sticking to my count, early scarves were not so great. (People were kind)
Now I am diligent about stitch counts, marking, following a pattern (mostly), and I go wild with colours and chunky yarn. They come out looking so purdy and you feel great when you finish a project that much faster. It's also much appreciated by the hipster crew, early twenty à la mode cliqués, and even the older gen. You win all around and happy faces abound.
Check out the amazing yarns I came across, the grape one above has been addictive when matched with neon lime green, it is a conversation starter.


 I am including links for other beginner Youtube infinity scarf tutorials and button add-on's, as well as Pinterest links to blogs that I came across for free patterns for knitting and crochet, should you need them. I prefer crochet as it is faster, uses only one hook, and I am still a total newb at knitting.
I am not great with giving instructions for crochet either, and as I do not have a camera for filming a Youtube channel of my own, I am giving you these links that I found helped:

DIY: Easy Chunky Rib Crochet Scarf Tutorial (Beginner)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGKT9zCnUmM

A VERY in depth "How to crochet a chunky infinity Scarf and/or Cowl:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2OG1NDbF7Y

Episode 19: How to Crochet the Fiona Button Scarf:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dKmNGWXouQ

25 Free Beginner Knitting Patterns:
http://paintinglilies.com/knitting/2-free-beginner-knitting-patterns/

10 Free Crochet Boot Cuff Patterns:
http://premeditatedleftovers.com/naturally-frugal-living/10-free-crochet-boot-cuff-patterns/#_a5y_p=3131764

These are simple projects, not time consuming, perfect for beginner or more advanced, can be personalized, and are on trend for right now. If you begin this week, you will have time to complete, just make sure you actually set time aside to make these. It takes me about 2-3 days to make a scarf but that's with interruptions. I can get through in half the time if all I do is sit and crochet with my trusty sweetheart pattern and chunky yarn. Just a little heads up, the sweetheart stitch uses more yarn than a regular single or double crochet. When I use chunky yarn, I don't need several balls of yarn the way she uses in the video.
I hope you enjoy making these as much as I have, remember to wrap them in a nice tissue paper and bag, both of which you can find at the dollar store.
I would really like to hear from you, so leave comments or questions down below and don't forget to subscribe!
Happy Holiday DIY, come back tomorrow for more fun!

No comments :

Post a Comment