Translate

Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Fattoush Panzanella Salad Recipe, Day 19 of the 30 Day Self-Love Detox Challenge

             
Helloodles!
Okay, so today I am giving you my version of this delectable Lebanese fattouch salad. I posted a link from another blog previously for the third menu for the 30 day self-love detox challenge, which was very different from mine. The reason being is that my recipe uses a few things that were technically not allowed during the initial detox phases & like an ass, I forgot to take pictures and write the recipe out when I made it. This recipe will be alright as you begin to reincorporate foods after your juice fast, which we will be discussing in tomorrow's post
I wanted you to have a recipe for that previous menu that was good but this recipe takes everything up a notch to great! 
I have a love affair with Panzanella, it's a simple Italian salad that uses bread and mixes it with salad and dressing which sops in to give it sooooooo much flavour. The bread is usually dry, often day or two old and always gluten filled. I have played around using gluten-free breads and have come to enjoy Panzanella once more. I had to share this recipe with my special twist because you will absolutely fall for it and so will those you serve it to.
                
A little about Sumac spice first because one cannot make fattouch without it. Sumac spice which is not to be confused with poison sumac, adds a nice acidic and earthy taste to foods. Just remember: Sumac spice=good, poison sumac=no touchie! I found this info. graphic on Pinterest. 
                                     
I purchased sumac at our local Lebanese market. It was $3.99 for 300 grams, really not expensive for the amount we got. We searched our local grocers, bulk barn & small Asian market but they didn't carry it, so I suggest you seek out local middle eastern markets to find this gem.
This salad was boomtastic! 
It is also mega easy and vegan, it took all of 15 minutes to assemble, that includes the dressing. You are going to truly enjoy the vibrant acidic and inviting taste of this salad. I shamelessly scarfed it in no time, so did the others I served it to; and they kept saying how good it was. I hope you enjoy it as much as we did. I like to make the dressing a day or two in advance and then assemble the salad and throw the pre-made dressing on. It's a little less fuss and nice to not have to deal with making after a long day at work.
If you prefer to go completely rawfood, or no carb, feel free to omit or change the gluten-free bread for raw croutons or crackers you have on hand.
Regular fattouch salad uses raw onions, I have a horrible time digesting raw onions and am not really a big fan of them either. So what is a girl to do? Well, I decided to use an ingredient I have on hand in my fridge at all times. Pickled red onions, homemade- if you please; and I so happen to have posted this recipe earlier. The link is here, I recommend making them 72 hours in advance for the right flavours to come out. That way they will balance well with this salad, if you cannot wait, then by all means use the same amount of thinly sliced red onions but in their raw un-pickled state. The taste will be good but not great, in my humble opinion. Truly, it's worth the extra effort of making the pickled onions but do what works best for you.

                                

                 

FATTOUCH PANZANELLA WITH PICKLED ONIONS
Serves 4 side portions or 2 full portions
Ingredients:
1/2 Cup fresh curly parsley, rinsed & chopped finely
1 Head romaine lettuce, cleaned and chopped
1 Red pepper, seeded & chopped
1 Large tomato, seeded and chopped
3 Baby cucumbers, chopped
1/4 Cup pickled onions or thinly sliced raw red onion (pickled onion recipe is best, see above link)
Zest of 1/2 lemon
2x Gluten free whole grain bread toasted well on each side, cubed

Method: 
-In a large enough bowl combine all ingredients, except toasted bread cubes and pickled onions.
-Add dressing, (recipe follows) and toss vegetables, then add bread cubes & toss.
-Add pickled onions last, toss once more and allow to sit 5 minutes.
-Serve immediately.

DRESSING 
Ingredients:
1 clove garlic, pressed
6 Fresh mint leaves, chopped finely
1/4 Cup Cold pressed extra virgin olive oil
2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
2 tsp Red wine vinegar
1 1/4 tsp Ground sumac spice
1/2 tsp Dried oregano
1/2 tsp Dried mint
1/2 tsp Herbamare or seasoned sea salt
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper

Method:
-In a shaker, add all ingredients and shake until well combined. 
-Use over salad right away or kept refrigerated until ready to use.
                               


                   





No comments :

Post a Comment