Translate

Sunday, May 24, 2015

Saying Goodbye to a Loved One

It's a quiet and lovely Sunday morning sweetpea's, a good time to write this post.
I had a quiet birthday as I wasn't very well and was feeling a touch of melancholy because there was a very sad event that happened in our lives.
This day last Sunday, my son lost one of his dearest friends in a tragic motorcycle accident. It was devastating because it was so sudden and he was so young, 22-the same age as my son; and because the two of them were so close. Both used to say, "He's my brother from another mother." And they really meant it. It's been difficult having to stand back and watch my son struggle with such a sudden loss, we can talk, I can offer comfort, but this is one booboo I can't fix with a band-aid, kiss, and ice-cream.
This is a picture of the two of them, my son is on the left and Nick is on the right.


I wasn't going to write about this, concerned it could be misconstrued as disrespectful but I realized that to not do so would be an injustice to this young man and his memory. You see, my son loved Nick because they were so connected. They were bros who hung out, had gone to high school together, had been jocks on the football team, did sleep overs, partied, talked girls, laughed, both loved good food, listened to one another's problems, rooted for each other, supported through the bad and celebrated their best. They had plans to travel and move in together as roomies for their university years, before weddings and all the rest of life was to happen for them.
I always held a soft and loving spot in my heart for Nick because he was a wonderful person, who had maturity beyond his years, genuinely cared & supported my son, was a true friend to him when many turned their backs, was always respectful toward me, had kind words to say, had a sparkling personality, a love for life, a caring heart, and laugh that mirrored my sons. But most importantly, he was a good egg. By this, I mean that he had integrity, was thoughtful, kind toward others, generous and was a person who grabbed life hard so he would never regret missing out on all it had to offer, but he also loved, cherished, and protected fiercely, those who mattered most in his life. This is the kind of friend every parent wants and hopes for their child to have and I felt so blessed that Devon had him in his life, it put my worries at ease when they were hanging together because he was a positive influence and loyal to a fault. When I was reading through the tearful posts and kind words left on Nick's social media accounts, I could see that so many felt the same way about him. It was heart wrenching, brought tears to my eyes, but it also filled me with so much joy in knowing that he was loved so well.
I searched for things that I felt captured Nick's spirit and expressed a bit of what those who loved him have been feeling.
Honestly, Nick was fearless and felt there was never a moment that should be passed up to enjoy what life had to offer because fear of death was not something he would allow to hold him back. He looked death in the eyes and still moved forward, he loved riding his motorcycle, feeling the rush of sky diving, I feel that Nick lived and experienced so much more in his short years than many of us ever do in a lengthy lifetime. I believe he welcomed death as a friend when God called him home, knowing that he never backed down from life and that he had filled it with so much love.
We would have wanted to have more time with you Nick but we will always keep you in our hearts, knowing that you are in heaven with Jesus, sharing laughter and loads of stories about pancakes and all the joy you brought. Rest now, in sweet peace; God bless you, you wonderful being you.












                                           My son & Nick's last picture together :





1 comment :

  1. That was so beautiful. Thank you for taking the time to write this. 😢

    ReplyDelete