Translate

Sunday, July 26, 2015

Maison Cannelle Pecan Pie



Helloodles lovelies! I am so excited about this new product reviews section of the Kinky Coconut blog and I had to start with an all time favourite, pecan pie.
I adore a good pecan pie, as it is very sweet, time consuming to make from scratch, and rather high cost on the ingredients level, I decided that we would buy this pie from the health food store.
This pie was my birthday splurge item and let me tell you it was expensive, like almost $20 but luckily for us it had been ticketed wrongly so we got it for $14.99 plus tax instead of the usual $17.99 plus tax. Score!
Maison Cannelle is a Québec based business and they have some wonderful breads, particularly good are the quinoa kaiser buns and whole grain loaves-quinoa bread makes great breakfast toast.
Seeing as I have eaten quite a variety of their delicious products, including their yummy carrot cake, I had high hopes and expectations for this pecan pie.
Got home, took it out of the box right away, didn't even do the birthday wishes candle thing, just oooh'd at how pretty it was as I cut it. See for yourself:


So, I served myself a slice. It looked like a pretty standard, well made, pecan pie filling with a generous amount of pecans-although they were very small pecans compared to what I am used to. Nonetheless, it was promising and I was celebrating inside because I was going to actually enjoy a birthday dessert I didn't have to make, for a change. Whooohoooo!


I ate it and then had a second slice, which I warmed up to be sure of my verdict.
Let me be very clear, I super duper uber wanted to like this pie, I wanted to marvel at how delightful and satisfying it was to the moon and pecan pie sky with unicorn sprinkles on top! That's how badly I wanted to like this pie.
Truth?
Big fat NOPE!
Pecans were rubbery, this was not a total surprise as the pie had been frozen, mine never turn out this rubbery when I make them and freeze them though, but I digress. The filling was alright but kind of boring, it lacked oomph in its lala, was typically sweet but nothing outstanding. These two things could have been overlooked if not for the one pie sin that all good pie baker's know must never be committed.
Horrible crust! Ahhhhhhhhhhh, I'm melting, Oh what a world what a world what a world...
Okay, seriously though, it was baaaaaaaaaad.
Like, tasted so pasty, flat, burnt, and had a strange lardy nasty flavour that hung out in your mouth, detracting from any of the good this pie had to offer. It was so terrible that I scraped the filling out and threw away all the crust.
Oh yeah, it was that awful and disgusting.
Not only was the taste horrid but it was mealy, gritty, and totally fell apart. Before I even got it out the box it was falling off and when you touched it, it disintegrated. Weird.
Don't get me started on the funky smell.

So, unfortunately, I cannot recommend this pie and the price is certainly not justified for such a sad end product.
However, I must reiterate that this company has slamming breads, buns, rolls, and lovely cakes. So stick with those and you'll be fine. No, seriously, the cinnamon raisin bread is boom!
Let me know what you think about it, if this was helpful, and leave any suggestions for gluten-free somethings you would like for me to review.
Don't forget to subscribe!
 

No comments :

Post a Comment